What is VeriFlora?
VeriFlora is an agricultural sustainability certification and eco-labeling program for cut flowers and potted plants. It is recognized as the gold standard in the floriculture and horticulture industries. The program is administered by Scientific Certification Systems (SCS), a global third-party certifier of environmental, sustainability and agricultural product quality claims.
VeriFlora certified producers and handlers must meet strict standards for Social, Environmental and Quality practices.
- Sustainable Crop Production – Controlling pests and diseases with the least environmental impact; building soil fertility and health to support the ecosystem, prevent erosion, and capture and store carbon from the atmosphere; phasing in organic practices over time.
- Resource Conservation and Energy Efficiency – Conserving precious natural resources through careful water use and quality control practices, energy saving initiatives, greenhouse gas reduction efforts, and product packaging minimization.
- Ecosystem Protection – Protecting wildlife and habitats with recognized high ecological value in and around the farm. Habitats include streams, rivers, riparian zones and wetlands, and other biologically and culturally significant areas.
- Integrated Waste Management – Providing safe storage and proper handling and disposal of farm chemicals, and encouraging composting or recycling of agricultural and non-agricultural wastes.
Social & Economic Sustainability
- Fair Labor Practices – Ensuring a safe, equitable and healthy work environment, guaranteeing the right to organize, and providing access to key services as needed.
- Community Benefits – Supporting local communities through preferential purchasing, hiring, infrastructure improvements, and collaborative problem solving.
- Product Quality – Implementing quality assurance and product tracking procedures to ensure that sustainably grown products are properly handled from the time they leave the farm until they reach the consumer, for maximum freshness and longevity.
- Product Safety – Undertaking measures to assure product safety at each stage of product handling.
How Do I Get Involved?
Preferred Retailer Program
In September 2009, the Preferred Retailer Program was launched. The objective of this program is to increase consumer awareness of VeriFlora by providing education and merchandising tools to retail florists and garden centers. We expect this will drive consumer demand for VeriFlora.
VeriFlora Preferred Retailers are provided:
- Staff training in the environmental, social and quality requirements of the VeriFlora program
- Access to VeriFlora Artwork to help you communicate your sustainability message
- Listing on the VeriFlora website, with a link to your website for easy customer access
Buy VeriFlora Certified Products
Delaware Valley is a VeriFlora Certified Handler. In addition, many of the farms we buy from are certified producers, including: B & H, Esmeralda, Hosa/Denmar, Flores Colon, Kendall Farms, Sun Valley, Latitude Zero, ValleFlor, Sande Ecuador, Ocean View and Elite. You can order VeriFlora certified products by following the link on www.dvflora.com, or by asking your Sales Associate.
To sign up for the Preferred Retailer Program, to see a full list of VeriFlora certified growers and handlers, or for more information, please visit the VeriFlora website at http://www.veriflora.com.