A SPECIAL VISITOR
We had the pleasure of a visit from DV’s Tim Dewey last week here in California. While he was in town for a CalFlowers Associate member appreciation meeting in San Diego, Tim and I spent some time touring one of Frank Biddle International farms in the Fallbrook region. We were treated to a grand tour by Frank Biddle and his trusty dog Remi!
This particular farm has a diverse assortment of plantings, including; waxflower, leucadendron, protea, banksia, eucalyptus and rosemary. Frank has plans to continue adding more varieties to the list in the future!
CALIFORNIA MARKET REPORT:
Weather has continued to be warm in all growing regions. The coastal growing areas of Oxnard, Camarillo, Carpinteria, Lompoc and Arcata have been warmer than usual for the season. Field flowers have benefited. We have still been lucky enough to avoid major heat waves.
- Oriental Lilies and LA and Asiatic production is very good.
- Dahlias are now in full season, several growers are now cutting all varieties!
- Gerbera are in good supply and quality.
- Stock has been adversely affected by the heat and volumes are limited.
- Snapdragons are in good supply but white is somewhat limited.
- Larkspur is available and increasing with Central coast growers.
- Lisianthus has increased in supply and is excellent quality.
- Delphinium and Bella are in very limited supply.
- Iris and tulips are in good summer production.
- Freesia available but very limited.
- Glads are readily available in assorted colors and solids.
- Sunflower production is in full swing throughout the state.
- Fillers are in good supply;
- QA lace, Choc lace, green mist, solidago, Orlaya and bupleurum. Matsumotos are very limited.
- Summer field flowers like craspedia, scabiosa, nigella, gomphrena, veronica, cornflower, safflower and geum are all available and of excellent quality.
- Upright and hanging amaranths are in season.
- Hydrangea is available and they are large blooms, excellent for weddings and events!
- Kale is only available in green.
- Ranunculus and Anemones are currently not available.
- Several Leucadendron varieties are in season now.
- Eucalyptus is now back to normal levels. Baby Blue, silver dollar, parvafolia, gunni and seeded are available. Cup seeded is in good supply and will wind down in coming weeks. Willow euc is available.
We are also happy to report that there is a nice listing of flowers in small packs available from Transflora on Grower Direct. Offers loaded for delivery to our customers over the next two weeks!